Civil Estimator plans, budgets, oversees and documents all aspects of the estimating and bid process. Estimators will work closely with senior management to make sure that the estimate and bid align with company policies, processes, procedures, protocol and budget. Estimators might work independently or in a group setting.
Job Skills and Requirements
- Unprecedented knowledge regarding all facets of the construction industry.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of construction drawings, specifications, schedules, and means and methods.
- Problem Solving Skills: Good judgment, analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to make logical decisions.
- Proficiency with computers, familiarity with construction management software packages, and the ability to learn and use company specific software programs including but not limited to equipment tracking software. Taught onsite.
- Travel is required and therefore must have a valid driver’s license and no infractions.
- Willingness to submit to an initial background/drug check and periodic random drug screenings and provide previous employment recommendations.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills, be able to relate well with various personality types, and to be approachable.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Strong organizing skills and aptitude.
- Creating budgets and strong mathematical skills/education/background
- Negotiating contracts with customers and sub-contractors.
- Advanced Knowledge of multiple construction trades.
- Evaluate site access and conditions and propose production levels for proposals
- Make site visits as needed to confirm scope of work
- For proposals won, hand off project and proposal to Operations Team for successful project completion.
- Produce a volume of work that results in revenue that meets the level necessary to continue fully utilizing the maximum capacity of the company’s existing resources and strives for 10% growth each year.
- Provide competitive bids that result in profitable contracts.
- Responsible for all aspects of estimating including pre-construction, hard bids, negotiated bids, budgets, general conditions, value engineering, and subcontractor bidding.
- Analyze RFPs and making a determination of most profitable yielding work and setting priorities in bidding is the best use of the estimator resource.
- Review project drawings and specifications to determine scope of work.
- Attend pre-bid meetings and project locations.
- Prepare quantity takeoff.
- Identify labor, equipment and material requirements.
- Determine production rates.
- Prepare project cost estimate which utilizes company labor and equipment cost information.
- Work with Project Manager for extra work/change orders.
- Generate change order proposals as requested by Project Managers
- Coordinate administrative staff in sending documents to vendors and subcontractors.
- Mentor fellow team members (in a supporting role) to help excel the overall estimating team to mastery level thus supporting the completion of accurate, competitive, and timely estimates.
- Serve as a brand advocate and ambassador in every interaction with clients and the public. Maintain composure, professionalism and objectivity in difficult situations and effectively resolve conflict without escalating tension.
- Solicit multiple quotes to be used to select the most suitable offer and coordinate subcontractors and suppliers for labor, materials and equipment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Civil Estimator estimates and bids projects pertaining to the construction, in accordance with company policies and governmental regulations. Manages all aspects of the estimating and bid process from the inception to the conclusion.
- Serves as the point of contact on assigned bids and performs a variety of highly skilled duties such as: assembling, coordinating and managing several bid packages.
- Facilitates and troubleshoots the myriad of problems associated with biding.
- Provides highly skilled technical and management advice and assistance to management and personnel.
- Responds to inquiries about estimates.
- Leads and/or attends various business development and estimating review and pre-job meetings.
- Acts as liaison between company and outside sources i.e. customer, inspectors, and subcontractors.
- Assists in developing company plans, goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates project time lines and allocation of resources.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Project and Time Management.
- Decision Making.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Organization and Planning Skills.
- Results Driven.
- Client Focused.
- Proficient with Computers.
- Analytical and Problem Solving.
- Ethical Conduct.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite (Required)
Bidding software (i.e. Bid2Win) (Preferred)
Site work & excavation: 5 years (Required)
Concrete flat work and asphalt paving: 3 years (Preferred)
Utility construction: 5 years (Preferred)
Construction Estimating: 7 years (Required)
No direct supervisory duties.
Human Resource Details
This job operates in a professional environment whether in-house or in remote locations. Candidate is expected to perform in a professional manner in accordance with THG policies.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently inspect the project and may be exposed to ongoing construction and various weather conditions. The Civil Estimator regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to extreme temperatures. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, dirt and dust. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Hours of work and days are Monday through Friday 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Some Saturdays are required (when necessary) and some Sundays (in rare incidences).
Travel is required and location is based on project. Out-of-area travel and extended periods of overnight stay may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or Construction Management is preferred or an equivalent combination of technical training and related experience. 10 years commercial construction experience is preferred.
- Mathematical background i.e. education/degree, past work experience / practice
- Experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong construction and heavy equipment knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and outside resources.
- Must possess valid drivers’ license, clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a mandatory pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Available to work as needed on a job site.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to fulfill essential job functions in a consistent state of alertness and in a safe manner.